The Night of the 12th
In nearly every police precinct, detectives are inevitably confronted with a case that goes unsolved. The more heinous the crime, the more it haunts those whose duty it is solve it. Such is the dilemma for Yohan Vivès—a young, recently promoted police Captain—when he begins investigating the gruesome murder of a young women named Clara in the town of Grenoble. It's clear that the attack was pre-meditated, and the violent nature of the crime suggests revenge. Vivés' team methodically digs through the details of Clara's life, uncovering her secrets in hopes of weeding out the killer. Certain their suspect is a scorned ex-lover, Vivés is confronted with another, more complicated question: which one? Based on a true crime book by Pauline Guéna, The Night of the 12th is a gritty mystery that's "both highly effective and brilliantly acted, where procedures and mindsets reveal a frayed society" (Cineuropa), posing uneasy questions about the male-dominated world of law enforcement, and their ability to handle the violent crimes routinely perpetrated against women victims.
- Bastien Bouillon
- Bouli Lanners
- Anouk Grinberg
- Mouna Soualem
- Pauline Serieys
- "A deft and satisfying police procedural in command of its unusual tone, The Night of the 12th (La Nuit du 12) is perfectly cast and constructed with quietly thrilling rigour."
- "Always engaging, with Bouillon and Lanners both tearing into their respective roles with relish. A moody and fascinating piece of work."
- "A brooding, serpentine investigative drama that brings to mind movies like Zodiac and Memories of Murder, [A] taut and piercing thriller...."
- "Dominik Moll crafts a French-style Zodiac, an ensemble police investigation both highly effective and brilliantly acted, where procedures and mindsets reveal a frayed society."
- "The grandeur of the film comes from the depth of emotion. These may be the hard-boiled characters, but they are still human."
- "The Night of the 12th is a feature to sleuth along with, as Moll's second whodunnit in a row, but it's also a picture to sink into as its stark truths inhabit everything seen and heard."
- "This is a very moral and compelling procedural with something powerful to say."
- "A surprisingly thought-provoking tale that will stay with you for days afterwards."
- "Even though we know this is the story of an unsolved case, we constantly feel as if a breakthrough might be hiding around every corner. On the surface, the movie is a deadpan police procedural in which the detectives employ all the usual techniques to track down a murderer. On a deeper level, it’s a profoundly disturbing plunge into the dark recesses of the human psyche."
Awards & Recognition
Cannes Film Festival
Jerusalem Film Festival
Closing Night Film
American French Film Festival
CINEMANIA Film Festival
Philadelphia Film Festival