A Midsummer Night's Dream
From the mind of award-winning director Julie Taymor (The Lion King on Broadway, Frida, Titus) comes a Shakespeare adaptation like none other, A Midsummer Night's Dream. Rich with Taymor's trademark creativity, this immersive and darkly poetic cinematic experience brings the play's iconic fairies, spells and hallucinatory lovers to life. Filmed at her sold-out stage production with cinematography by Rodrigo Prieto (Argo, Frida) and music by Academy Award-winning composer Elliot Goldenthal, the feats of visual imagination are ingenious and plentiful, but beating at the center of the film is an emotionally moving take on the deeper human aspects of Shakespeare's beloved tale.
- "For filmed theater, this is about as immersive and immediate as it gets."
- "Julie Taymor's off-the-stage filmed production of A Midsummer Night's Dream has a phantasmagoric visual fluidity that emphasizes the play's uncanny unsettling nature more than its carnival silliness."
- "Taymor's "Dream" is, in Bottom's words, a most rare vision. It flickers before us almost too quickly, passing by "swift as a shadow, short as any dream.""
- "Hyper-flexible theater star Kathryn Hunter as Puck is a marvel."
- "This Dream is still out of this world."
Awards & Recognition
Toronto Int'l. Film Festival